Cherukuri Ramoji Rao, better known as Ramoji Rao (born 16 November 1936), is an Indian businessman, film producer, educationist, journalist and media entrepreneur. He is head of the Ramoji Group which owns, among other things, the world's largest film production facility, Ramoji Film City and film production company Ushakiran Movies, established in 1983.He has garnered four Filmfare Awards South and the National Film Award for his works in Telugu cinema.In 2016, he was selected to be honoured with the Padma Vibhushan, India's second-highest civilian honour, for his contributions in journalism, literature and education.
Ramoji Rao was born in Gudivada, Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh State, into an agricultural family. Companies owned by the Ramoji group include Margadarsi Chit Fund, Eenadu newspaper, ETV, Priya Foods, Ushakiran Movies and as mentioned above, the Ramoji Film City at Hayat Nagar, Hyderabad. He is also the chairman of Dolphin group of hotels in Andhra Pradesh. Rao's younger son, Cherukuri Suman, died of cancer on 7 September 2012.
- Margadasri Chit Funds PVT LTD established in October 1962, In a small rented office with two employees at Himayathnager, Hyderabad.
- Priya Foods In 1980, the visionary Chairman of Ramoji Group, Sri Ramoji Rao created Priya. True to its tradition of Ramoji Group, Priya Foods is committed to providing you with the best flavours of India
- Ushakiran Movies a film production company, Ushakiron Movies, of Ramoji group founded in 1983, has produced over 80 films in all major Indian languages such as Telugu, Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Bengali.
- Mayuri Film Distributors came in a scientific approach to the film distribution.
- Eenadu largest circulation newspaper in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- ETV NETWORK, Established in 1995 Eenadu Television Pvt Ltd has 3 channels by name ETV Telugu (General Entertainment) ETV Andhra Pradesh and ETV Telangana (News & Infotainment).
- Ramoji Film City Ramoji Film City, spread across a sprawling 2000 acres, set up by Ramoji Group in 1996, located in the Anaspur, Hayat Nagar(Mdl), Hyderabad is a dreamy celluloid journey. Certified by the Guinness World Records as the world’s largest ‘Film studio complex’.
- Dolphins Group of Hotels and Tara, Sitara luxury hotels are the Ramoji Group of Hotels.
- Kalanjali is a virtual treasure trove of Indian arts, crafts and textiles, ‘Kalanjali’, where fine art meets real life, is an exclusive showroom that showcases India.
- Ramadevi Public Schools established in 2002 by Ramadevi Trust.
OM SPIRITUAL CITY BY RAMOJI RAO
Ramoji Rao coming project is OM SPIRITUAL CITY constructing nearby Ramoji Film City, Hyderabad, Telangana. The main aim of this project is 108 temples in India constructs at one place.
Awards and Honours
- Padma Vibhushan (2016) - Government of India
National Film Awards
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu (producer) - Nuvve Kavali (2000)
- Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu) - Pratighatana (1985)
- Filmfare Special Award - South for outstanding contributions towards Indian cinema (1998)
- Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu) - Nuvve Kavali (2000)
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award - South (2004)
Ramoji rao Family
Children: Kiran Prabhakr, Suman Prabhakr, Sailaja, vijayeswari